PHOTOGRAPHS FROM GUATEMALA

Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Grandparents' home


Josiah and Ada Lee Shurtz built this brick home in 1910 in Escalante, Utah. I have many fond memories visiting them at this home as a small child. During my childhood, the home did not have the porch shown in this photograph nor the green metal roof, rather shake shingles. Then, the front lawn, not rocks, extended out about 40 feet from the front door with a fence around the yard. It was a great yard to play ball with my grandmother. Back of the house was grandma's chicken coop. I Loved to feed the chickens and gather the eggs. Also, my grandparents had the milk cows that provided thick cream for grandma's hot oatmeal for breakfast cooked on the wood stove on the back porch of the house.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

this is so wonderful!!!

Drew Harrison said...

Your grandparent's home looks lovely. It reminds me of my grandparent's home back in our home town. I had wonderful memories in that house. We use to spend beautiful holidays and summers there.